In this Wednesday, April 16, 2014 file photo, a search dog walks on a tree as rescuers searched for the remaining missing victims of the massive deadly mudslide that hit the community of Oso, Wash. Authorities ended the active search Monday more than five weeks after the mudslide. / AP
EVERETT, Washington (AP) - Authorities are ending the active search for bodies more than five weeks after the Washington state mudslide.
Snohomish County Sheriff Ty Trenary said Monday that it was a difficult decision because two people are still missing. So far, 41 victims have been recovered. He said 11 people were saved the day of the March 22 slide about an hour northeast of Seattle.
The painstaking search for the missing has involved hundreds of people and dogs who combed the debris field, at times digging with their hands.
County Executive John Lovick says a commission will independently review what happened before and after the slide.
Transportation officials say it could take up to three months to clear debris from the mile-long stretch of highway buried in the disaster.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Read the original story: Search ends for bodies in Washington mudslide