Firefighters put water on a Tennessee fireworks store that caught fire over the 4th of July weekend. / WBIR
A Tennessee fireworks store that had been a sight to see along Interstate 75 was destroyed by a fire over the Fourth of July weekend.
Campbell County dispatch said it received a call around 4:15 p.m. Sunday that the Fireworks Superstore had caught fire. No injuries were reported.
The store was open when the flames started but those inside were able to make it out safely after a smoke detector went off, fire officials said. Flames could be seen through the roof when the first officer responded, officials said.
Video sent to WBIR-TV showed flames and smoke billowing into the sky Sunday afternoon.
As the flames grew, fireworks began exploding, igniting other fires in the area. The situation led officials to close down the nearby interstate.
After a few hours on the scene, crews were able to put out the fire.
"It was the grace of the Lord above that everybody got out safe and none of our firefighters were hurt," said Robert Stooksbury with Caryville Fire Department.
Stooksbury said this isn't the first time a fireworks stand in the area has gone up in flames. Firefighters dealt with a similar incident four or five years ago in downtown Caryville.
"We have a little experience with this unfortunately," he said. "But, when you see something like this with exploding shells you know you have to go defensive and stay back."
The store has been running since 2008, but the family has been in the fireworks business since the 1940's, and hope to continue.
"It's a bad feeling" the son's store owner, Tyson Stowers, told WBIR-TV. "But you know what. We are strong.We will get there. We will get through it. We will rebuild. It's not the end of us."
There is no official word on what started the fire. State fire officials are investigating the incident.
Read the original story: Watch: Fireworks explode as Tenn. store catches fire